Gartner confirms that Internet use is diminishing the use of other media. It’s not surprising, but it’s nice to have the number to back it up. The net is clearly affecting communication patterns more than media use:
- more than half of Internet users said they use postal mail less,
- A third placed fewer long-distance telephone calls,
- 20% watch television less,
- 20% read newspapers less,
- 18% go to see fewer movies,
- 15% watch fewer videos, and
- 15% read magazines less often.
It’s hard to believe these numbers are so low. I suspect the effect is higher than the respondents are reporting.